Sunday, July 31, 2011

Trading deadline ephemera

And here we go.
  • Reportedly, a former Orioles executive said before the trade for Erik Bedard that all signs point to the fact that Bedard didn't want to be traded and he's unreliable health-wise. He wasn't a big-market pitcher. Then Bedard went out on Friday night, coming off the DL, and pitched for an inning two-thirds, getting shellacked, and pulled from the game. All signs point toward bad move. Is it me, or does this have train wreck written all over it.
  • As I posted on my Facebook page, my six year-old son told me the other day that "a burp is just a fart in your mouth." The more I think about it, the more I think he's right.
  • Last night, Philip Humber pitched for Chicago, and I giggled throughout his entire outing, thinking about what a tough time high school would've been for him. Do you still wonder where my son gets it from?
  • All of the bands that I listen to, everyone has heard of. Just saying.
  • It's occurred to me---and the numbers prove it---that no one really reads this blog. Does that make me delusional for continuing to write blog entries? What's next? Will I declare myself King of Nate-Land and march down the street carrying a scepter and a six-pack? Oh, the possibilities.
  • I think "Laser Show" is fairly accurate description of what Pedroia does when he catches fire at the plate.
  • Republicans and Democrats, I'm tired of all of them. This video, albeit from England, does a nice job describing the world's economic problems in terms even morons like me can understand.
  • If I owned a horse, I'd name it Lester.
  • This version of my friend Dan Cray's song "More Than Booze" is gorgeous. Wait, have you ever heard of him?
  • At the trading deadline, The Red Sox have the second best record in baseball, the best in the AL. It seems this team is for real. I'm a happy panda.

5 comments:

Chad Greene said...

I read...

Anonymous said...

"Will I declare myself King of Nate-Land and march down the street carrying a scepter and a six-pack? Oh, the possibilities."

--Obviously, you don't remember last Thanksgiving?!?! You're going to have to come up with something new.

Anonymous said...

Bedard is a really really really great pitcher...when he's healthy...which is about 25 percent of the time.

Bedard is, to be fair, one of the toughest guys in the league to hate. His humility is on Cliff Lee levels, he rarely speaks in cliches, and yet isnt a douche bag, and just seems like an all around pleasant guy who wants his team to do well. You find yourself feeling more sorry for him then you do angry about him, which is pretty rare in the world of people who care way too much about sports. (People like me)

And if it makes you feel better, I'm not exactly lighting off fireworks because of this trade. I think in the end both teams will kind of feel "meh" about it.

-Brian

Anonymous said...

I read it... in light of the news about Buch (which we all knew was coming), Bedard may be the best of a bad situation... - CT

Nate Graziano said...

Yeah, Brian, I was meaning to ask you about him. He got some bad press in THE HERALD, but...well, it's THE HERALD. I remember him being nasty in Baltimore---vicious junk, no? But health is the issue.

Don't get me started about Buchholz, Carrie. Do you think if this guy had to sell vacuums in the off-season (ala Dom Dimaggio) he'd be pitching right now? He doesn't want to miss the next paycheck, so his ridiculously hot wife won't leave his ugly ass. You're an athlete, dude. You're going to play with pain,